Dr. Saad Saad Reveals Three Objects Young Children Often Choke On

Page breadcrumbsEnd of page breadcrumbs

Jordan Bollinger recently published an article on the Patch, a New Jersey-based news website. The article titled, “When a Child Swallows a Foreign Object—Advice by Dr. Saad Saad” reveals how the experienced pediatric surgeon handles children who have swallowed objects.

 

Saad reveals that children can become endangered when they put things into their mouths, and they will try to swallow anything. Saad has seen everything from batteries to peanuts to toothbrushes becoming stuck in the throats of children. He has helped more than 1,000 children, many as young as six months and some as old as fourteen. Children may swallow these foreign objects by accident, though some younger children may use their natural curiosity and swallow things. Parents should be aware of the possible symptoms that their child has a foreign object stuck in their trachea or esophagus. One such symptom is difficulty breathing, but parents should also be on the lookout for trouble swallowing and wheezing. Some common things that can lead to choking are hot dogs, peanuts, and coins.

 

If a child has swallowed an object, parents should hold the child upside down and pat them lightly on the back, using gravity to dislodge the object. Saad reveals parents may also use the Heimlich maneuver to help remove the object. Under no circumstances is the parent supposed to try to dislodge the object by reaching into the mouth with their fingers.

 

Dr. Saad indicates that if none of the above methods work, parents should take their child to the emergency room. The pediatrician may ask for an X-ray, which will reveal objects like coins. However, X-rays will not reveal all objects. For instance, an X-ray might not pick up a peanut. If the child is still demonstrating symptoms of choking, he or she may need an esophagoscopy or bronchoscopy, where the doctor uses a device to look inside the windpipe or food pipe. This helps the doctor see what is happening inside the body.

 

Saad reveals there are three rules parents need to follow to prevent choking. He suggests that parents do not allow their children to consume hot dogs before they are at least two years old. Hot dogs need to be properly chewed, otherwise, they can completely block the windpipe. He also suggests that children under seven should not be given peanuts to consume because they can become extremely harmful if they get stuck in the windpipe. The liquids in the throat will disintegrate part of the peanut, causing it to spread throughout the lungs and can cause serious sickness.

Learn more : https://www.doximity.com/pub/saad-saad-md